Dangers Inside Your Home

Just as parents 'childproof'  their home, so should pet owners 'petproof' theirs. Four-legged members of the family, like infants and small children, are naturally curious and love to explore their environment with their paws, claws and mouths. But they can't know what is dangerous and what is not... so it's up to you to make your home a safe haven. The following tips can help ensure that your pet enjoys a long, happy and accident-free life in your care.

   
In the House
  • Screen windows to guard against falls.
  • Don't let young pets out on balconies, upper porches or high decks.
  • Many house plants, including dieffenbachia, elephant ear, spider plants and more are poisonous if eaten. Remove them or put them out of reach in hanging baskets.
  • Puppies and kittens love to chew when they're teething, so unplug, remove or cover electrical cords.
  • Don't leave a room where a fire is lit, including candles, or a portable heater is being used unattended.
  • Plastic bags may be fun to play with, but they can suffocate.
  • Don't leave small, sharp, easily swallowed objects lying around.
  • Be careful what you leave in your kitchen sink or on the counters. Dogs will take scissors or knives that are laying about.
  • Be mindful that sewing needles are out of a dogs reach.
  • Dangerous household chemicals such as bleach and ammonia should be stored out of your pet's reach.
  • Close washer and dryer doors - your pet might climb in and become trapped.
  • Keep toilet lids down - small pets can actually drown, if they fall in.
  • Medicines, shampoo, suntan lotions and other personal care items can kill your pet. Make sure they can't get hold of them.
  • Never leave ovens or irons on unattended.

Avoiding catastrophes

  • Many objects used as cat toys - wool, string, rubber bands, aluminium foil - can be extremely harmful if swallowed.
  • Cats love to sleep in warm, dark places, so close drawers and cupboards - your pet might suffocate if trapped.
  • A cat looks adorable with a ribbon tied around its neck... but it could get caught and choke your pet.

Dog-gone disasters

  • Eliminate hooks or similar objects placed at your dog's shoulder height - the collar or harness could become tangled and he/she could choke.
  • A tall perimeter fence around your property will minimise the risk of your dog running out into traffic or roaming far from home.

Home for the holidays

  • Tinsel and icicles, Christmas tree lights and glass ornaments will be sure to tempt your pet's curiosity - but all could be lethal if chewed or swallowed.
  • Poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are poisonous to your pets.

 

   
  In the Garage
  • Cats enjoy naps near a warm engine so, before you drive off, honk your horn and make sure your pet is not under or near the car.
  • Pets like the smell and taste of antifreeze and windscreen washer. Tightly cover containers and wipe up any spills.
  • Paint, fuel and other dangerous chemicals should be stored out of reach.

 

 
 In The Garden
  • Some outdoor plants, like ivy and oleander, can be poisonous to pets.
  • Keep pets away from lawns and gardens treated with chemicals.
  • Store garden tools and chemicals securely. Keep garden sheds locked.
  • Cover pools and ponds - your pet might fall in and not be able to get out. 

Toxic Plants for dogs:  http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm

 

   
 
 

 

 

 
   
 
   
   

Copyright 2008 Spinning Horse Designs, All rights reserved